4 tablespoons butter
1/4 cup half & half milk
3/4 teaspoon sea salt
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
1/2 cup cheddar cheese, shredded
GUINNESS SHEPHERD’S PIE RECIPE | INGREDIENTS FOR MEAT FILLING
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 cup chopped onion
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 & 1/2 pounds ground round
1 teaspoon sea salt
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons tomato paste
1/2 cup Guinness Irish beer
1/2 cup beef broth (or chicken broth)
2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
2 cups frozen vegetable medley, thawed (corn, peas, carrots, green beans)
1 teaspoon dried rosemary
1 teaspoon dried thyme
- Peel the potatoes and cut them in fourths. Place them in a medium pot and cover with cold water.
- Boil the potatoes over medium-high heat until they are fork tender. (While the potatoes are boiling, prepare the meat filling.)
- Remove the potatoes from the boiling water add butter and mash the potatoes with a flat beater on low speed.
- Gradually pour in the half & half and add in salt, pepper and cheese. Mix until smooth.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- In a saute pan heat the oil over medium heat. Saute the onion until it begins to turn golden brown. Add in the garlic and continue to saute.
- Add in the ground round, salt and pepper. Cook until the beef is completely brown with no more pink.
- Sprinkle flour on the meat and fold it into the mixture.
- Add in the tomato paste, Guinness beer, beef or chicken broth, Worcestershire, rosemary and thyme.
- Stir to mix everything together. Bring meat filling to a brief boil, then reduce the heat to low.
- Cover the saute pan and let the mixture simmer for about 12 minutes until the sauce is lightly thickened.
- Fold the vegetable medley into the meat mixture until everything is combined.
- Transfer the meat filling to an 8 X 8 inch baking dish. Using a spatula spread it evenly on the bottom.
- With a clean spatula, spread the mashed potatoes evenly on top of the meat mixture.
- Around the edges of the meat mixture make sure the potatoes form a nice seal within the baking dish to prevent overflow of the filling while baking.
- Put the baking dish on a cookie sheet lined with parchment paper to catch any overflow.
- Place the Shepherd’s Pie on the middle rack of the oven to ensure good heat circulation.
- Bake for 25 minutes or until the potatoes become lightly golden.
- Remove the Guinness Shepherd’s Pie and allow it to cool for 15-20 minutes before serving.